Homemade soups are easy to prepare and are delicious and nutritious. Why not try a soup for lunch that is warming and full of tasty ingredients?
The Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup (Tasty Yummies Website) is a naturally gluten-free and vegan soup, that is bursting with flavours and colours.
Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Vegan and Gluten-free (serves 6-8)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large butternut squash (about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs), peeled, seeded and cubed
1 large onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 roasted red peppers, diced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
Butternut squash seed oil (or olive oil) for drizzling
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, celery and butternut squash and sauté until the onions and celery are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and roasted red peppers; stir 1-2 minutes.
- Add thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and vegetable broth; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squash is soft, about 45 minutes.
- Purée in a food processor, until smooth. Return puree to pot.
- Thin soup with more broth if desired. Ladle soup into bowls.
- Top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of the roasted red pepper purée and a light drizzle of butternut squash seed oil.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of fresh thyme. Caution: when puréeing hot soup in a blender or food processor, do so in small batches, filling the blender pitcher only about halfway.
- Put the lid on, but remove that small cap in the lid (if you have it) and hold the lid down tight with a towel.
Roasted Red Pepper Puree
2 roasted red peppers (approximately 1 cup)
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Puree all ingredients in processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper